Sunday 13 May 2012

Crash, Bang, Boom & back down to earth.

Jeez guys this part of the trip was flipping tough. Went over the Cockscomb, down into the Grootrivier and then up over a section of Baviaans and finally into Patensie this morning at 10h00. I spent the night up in the mountains after body caved in at 5pm last night. I was completely spent and was asleep by six hardly appreciating the view I was camping in. The day was seriously hectic and after the Grootrivier I pushed the bike up shale and rock for about 2 and a half hours. It would have been impossible to ride up with my bike and I don't understand how anybody does it quite frankly. It was also seriously hot at 32 degrees. Anyway what an experience and apparently I followed the Trans Baviaans route last year because the Baviaans was in flood. After I got in this morning I was craving food so treated myself to a Tolbos breakfast where the kind owner has allowed me to use her internet. She has also convinced me that I can get through the first stage of the Baviaans tomorrow to Rooihoek - not sure about that because confidence was seriously knocked yesterday. Did not know places like that existed and did not know i could punish my body like that!

Thought about stopping in for a beer - for a moment!



"The National Mountain Road - I mean what is this?!"

 

"Home away from Home"

I must end of on a positive and rather humorous note. I was into the morning ride for about an hour after leaving Drie Kuilen and was pushing it hard with the Gypsy Kings blaring through my Ipod. I was singing along loudly bumping along the dust road merrily and I swear the Meerkatte were bopping along with me. I came around the corner and everything changed - the bag rack cam off and got stuck in the wheel. I ended up crashing into the embankment with "Oh narro oh yarro" still blaring in my ears. I fell hard on the stones and cut my leg and grazed my arm. I looked up to see a Dorpa ram standing in the road maaaying about - and then i lost it completely. I got out of my cleats and chased that Dorpa ram into the bush - I swear the thing lifted its lips and smiled. I got back to the bike, dusted myself off and fixed the rack and if you were there you would have heard me saying --"Ya you Dorpa --- think you are smart - I will have you for breakfast tomorrow and all braais from now on - and your flipping relations - bastard - and wear a jockstrap you fool you cant have those things hanging out" I then rode off with tail firmly between my legs rather like Julius Malema after he confronted that unsuspecting journalist from the UK.



Some better moments.......



 

"sheepies" that nearly made it onto my spit!

I will be going through the Baviaans so unfortunately unless I meet a farmer in the valley will not be able to update the blog for two days. Thanks for the messages they make such a difference -you cant believe it!



Me

2 comments:

  1. Hi Boet

    Great to know that you still having an adventure. The road is long with many a winding turn. Keep it up boet.

    Jubes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guntie

    Great to talk to you last night. You are doing great, keep it up, we are thinking of you.

    Think of the fantastic experience and people you are meeting along the way.

    Ray, Jay and Terri

    ReplyDelete