Wednesday 9 May 2012

DAY 1 - 9th MAY - Friendship, dust and a pleasant surprise


I left at 06h30 after not being able to sleep.


It was fantastic to have Deon Boshoff and Pete Andrew cycling with me to the Highlands tower. It meant a lot! I think they also enjoyed it particularly when I came a cropper just near the monastery- 3km outside Grahamstown. Both of my loyal mates ended up in hysterics while I sheepishly untangled myself from the carnage. Anyway no harm done but the trip has drawn first blood.


 
The Highlands road is truly scenic and I loved the experience. I did however fall again and ended up in the bushes. A friend Alfons told me that I would have to learn to laugh at myself on this trip - Alfons I laughed and laughed and it felt good.

I arrived in Alicedale and started asking around for accommodation and was pointed in the direction of our old house where we lived when my Dad worked as a doctor. Well to cut a long story  short tonight I am staying there and having supper with my wonderful  hosts - John and Ellie - and a few local folks - what a treat! They are refusing to accept payment and yet again I am gobsmacked by people's generosity and kindness.

Legs are tired and too be honest it was tough for me but I loved the challenge. The messages continue to be a source of real inspiration and I thank  you for them. Tomorrow I head for Kirkwood and that again will be a challenge. My baggage  is far too heavy and I need to start leaving stuff behind.

Keep well everyone!

I now remember why as a youngster  I didn't like the dust road to Alicedale - it's flipping dusty and when a car comes past you its a real battle to say the least. No windows to simply close boet except my natural ability to slit my eyes like my Atilla the Hun forefathers!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gwaat,
    Ive been trying to send you messages numerous times and I can't get it right. Hopefully this time will work. Really great entry for your first day - thanks!!! Staying in "The Old Home Town", does it still look the same? really cool and our old house! WOW! Is there that tree that I used to play on! Which room did you sleep in? When is the best time to try and constact you on the cel?

    ReplyDelete