Thursday 10 May 2012

Privileged 2nd Day

Dear Family and Friends
Last night having dinner in my old home was surreal. Jan Paul Barnard, the famous mohair carpet manufacturer, and his wife were also there and they filled me in with interesting anecdotes and stories of this special place.


Woke up early again. Ellie and John were kind enough to pack me a breakfast which was greatly appreciated as I rode through the breathtaking scenery. The sunrise was special but the climb interesting. Strange how flat things look on a map. Traveled to Paterson and visited a shop where a woman who makes and sells cheese has just won the the "World's Best Cheese" medal. You all have to taste it.

Then moved on to Kirkwood. I have never been to the place but immediately loved it. There are citrus orchards everywhere and the people are all so friendly. I found a tourism information place and was met by four of the loveliest, caring ladies. They immediately set about finding me a place to stay and eventually got me into a luxurious place called the Lookout. The pushed the owners into a bed and meal at no cost. In addition they got the butcher down the road to take me the 4km to the Lookout in his bakkie - very special and i owe them big! One of the ladies it turns out is a great friend of my sister in law -I am not even going to mention the world's size here.

Very nervous about tomorrow as I am not clear of the route nor where I am going to stay. I am however heading down to Baviaans and the good news is that the reserve manager has now allowed me to go through. I have a feeling I might be sleeping on the side of the road tomorrow.

All in all I feel extremely privileged to have been on these last two days.

PS: I sincerely hope I can write up anew blog tomorrow as my blackberry is causing hassles.

Bye for now and don't let the bedbugs bight your buts tonight.

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment