Saturday 19 May 2012

DAY 11 - Saturday 19th - ALWAYS RESPECT THE ELEMENTS

Today was day eleven and I can't believe how quickly it has gone. Dennis Herold, a good friend and farmer, phoned me early this morning and warned me about the Westerly wind that I would be encountering. I arrogantly thought that if I could handle yesterday’s trials nothing could really slow me down. I wanted to reach Riversdal which was over 100 kms. Well I received a painful lesson today and crawled into Albertinia after six and in the dark. I feel completely shattered and have learnt respect for yet another element while cycling.

There were two great moments for me today. One was meeting the kids in the picture below. They made me feel positive when I was really struggling. Another was when I stopped in at a house to ask for water and met a gentleman by the name of Mervyn White - he had been a lighthouse keeper since the late sixties and farmed later in the Humansdorp area.   It was amazing how meeting someone like that can lighten your spirit and it was he who told me to alter my route to Albertinia. If it was not for Mervyn I would be sleeping on the side of the road tonight- thanks Mervyn.

 I really need to give my body a break and am thinking of doing a shorter distance tomorrow.

Good night all
Me

Typical scenery for the day


What a stunner!

Just outside Herbetsdale

My friends who kept me going!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gunt, can you give an estimate now on when you will be in Cape Town. It would be nice plan a bit of a celebration afterwards and try to fatten you up again. Can't have you leaner and meaner than me. I guess you must be freezing your ..... off this morning while I laze in a warm bed. Ubi est iKapa!!

    ReplyDelete